Monday, August 25, 2008

age banding

Who even knew this was a controversy? (For those of you who don't know, which included me until I read these articles, age banding is putting an age on the book [e.g., 8+], so people know for what age group the book is appropriate.)

I'm trying to remember my 12-year-old self. . . . Would I be embarrassed to buy a book that said 8+? Considering the fact that I still read books that are aimed at that age group, I'm thinking not. But what if I wasn't able to read at a typical 12-year-old reading level? Then would I be embarrassed to have to pick up books that are specifically labeled for 8-year-olds? Maybe.

I recognize that each child is different and reads at a different level. But does putting an age on the book limit the child? Maybe I'm giving kids too much credit. Maybe they can't tell that the age on the back isn't a binding contract stating that if you don't fit in the category you can't read it. Isn't it just a good basic indicator for people buying books?

But then again, I agree with Philip Pullman when he says "I don't want to see the book itself declaring officially, as if with my approval, that it is for readers of 11 and upwards or whatever. I write books for whoever is interested. When I write a book I don't have an age group in mind." (Although don't you think he has some idea of who is writing for? Any book about writing well tells you that it's all about the audience, right? You have to know who you are writing to.)

Oh, the controversy. What do you think?

For more, check out these articles for and against age banding and the official petition here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment